The Hôtel d’Elbeuf was built between 1613 and 1632 for Daniel Martin de Mauroy, treasurer of the Duc de Guise. In 1649, Pierre de Retz and his wife bought the building named Hôtel de Retz. Here in 1651, they hosted Madame de Sévigné.
The niece of the Cardinal de Retz sold it in 1678 to Nicolas Le Camus, the first president of the Court of Finance and, in 1716, they rented it to Louis de Lorraine, who became in 1722 the President of the Parliament.
In 1750, the Hôtel was divided between le Marquis de Marolles and Madame de Flamanville.
Nestor Roqueplan, publisher of the newspaper the Figaro, director of both Opéra Comique and the Châtelet was born in this mansion in 1804.
In 1818, the bronze sculptor Jean-François Deninger named Deniere acquired the Hôtel de Retz at the rue Orléans - which became rue Charlot -. At the side of Percier, the famous furniture maker and bronze sculptor, Deniere worked here at the Passage de Retz for the sacral vehicle for Charles the Xth, king of France. His sculpture decorated the imperial and royal apartments belonging now to the Mobilier National. The Hôtel burned out and was reconstructed in 1839.
Later on and until the middle of the 20th century, the Hôtel remained a production place for many handicrafts and industry. In 1950, a chemist engineer and toy manufacturer, I.B. FRYDMAN, bought all the Hôtel for his toy factory.
His daughter Jacqueline Frydman initiated a new destination for the place.
Jacqueline Frydman renovated the Hôtel de Retz in the way of the imperatives given by the architects in charge of the restoration of the Marais. The architects responsible of the renovation between 1989 and 1994 were François and Sylvain Dubuisson.
François Dubuisson proceeded to the renovation of the building having in memory and mind the different layers that marked the industrial style of the Marais in the 19th century.
The Hôtel de Retz is today a prestigious address for offices and privilege residence. The Hôtel de Retz welcomes within court yard and garden the 750 m2 of the Passage de Retz, a temporary exhibition center in Paris designed by the architect Sylvain Dubuisson and opened in 1994.
In 1997 the Petit Café and the Boutique have been added and signed by the architect Christian Biecher.
Izzika Gaon during his life and Michael Levin were part of this project.